PROGRAMME CONTENT AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The 4 main modules comprising the programme, plus their learning outcomes, are set out below:
MODULE 1: PERSONAL MASTERY AND MANAGING COMPLEXITY
[March School Holidays – full‐time residential component; delegates to stay at the GSB]
Topics covered in Module 1 will include:
- an introduction to the tools and techniques for unravelling complex human population systems;
- personal mastery – developing emotional intelligence and the ability to embrace diversity; and
- developing servant leadership characteristics.
After Module 1 delegates will:
- have a deeper understanding of themselves in relation to their context and hence how that translates into situations that are either difficult or easy to manage;
- be more capable of rigorous decision-making having understood their own worldviews and those of others, and challenged their beliefs based on these worldviews, so as to better understand the assumptions that drive their decisions and actions; and
- have started identifying key leverages for effective group learning and action.
MODULE 2: BUILDING BUSINESS ACUMEN
[June School Holidays – full‐time residential component; delegates to stay at the GSB]
Topics covered in Module 2 will include:
- developing financial responsibility;
- developing technological skills; and
- developing data management skills
After Module 2 delegates will:
- have identified key activities that will enable them to run a financially sound operation;
- be able to design systems that optimise information that is available to them to gain insight into the functioning of their schools and the quality of education and teaching in them. This will allow them to identify key leverages for improvement;
- have identified and developed skills that improve their negotiation capacity; and
- be able to optimise technology to support their operation.
MODULE 3: MANAGING PEOPLE, TEAMS AND CHANGE
[October School Holidays – full‐time residential component; delegates to stay at the GSB]
Topics covered in Module 3 will include:
- negotiation skills;
- mediation skills; and
- managing, monitoring and developing staff.
After Module 3 delegates will:
- be able to explain the best leverages for implementing successful change in their schools and the surrounding communities;
- develop an action plan for effecting such change; and
- have identified key leverages for optimising team functioning in their staff and broader governing board and community.
MODULE 4: ACTION LEARNING PROJECT
[December School Holidays – full‐time residential component; delegates to stay at the GSB]
Module 4 is the final module of the programme where delegates will present their action plans for creating an African School of Excellence for the 21st Century. This will be based on the theory they have developed throughout the course and highlight an implementation plan based on the incremental implementation they will have conducted throughout the year.