Every School has it’s own unique needs and part of the work of our coaches is to help Principals and their School Management Teams (SMTs) to identify the specific needs of their learners, teachers, support staff, and parents. Identified needs are prioritised and interventions are then planned to address these needs.
SCHOOL BASED SUPPORT
- School support training and presentations for management teams and teachers:
- To date more than 100 training sessions have been presented by the coaches at no cost to schools.
- Grade 4, 5, 6 Mathematics support for primary and high school teachers who teach Mathematics
- Annette Champion and Dorothy Raine run the weekly Grade 4, 5 and 6 Maths workshops in 7 centres and are attended by approximately 83 teachers drawn from 21 Principals Academy primary schools
- Grade R – 7 English sessions are conducted at Schools in Grassy Park, Khayelitsha and Phillipi by Tessa Fairbairn and Liz Howard-Tripp. Tessa also runs English workshops for Grade 8 – 12 on specific topics requested.
- Further teacher support programmes in Foundation Phase, Grade R-3, the critical years for child development, are run by Rene Sinclair, Jenny van Velden and Pat McKenzie.